Saturday, November 26, 2011

Union Station, Polar Express, and a Luminary Walk

Addy spent most of the day on my back. She is SO happy when she's being held.
Tunnel of light--my flash really takes away from the fact that it was DARK and the only light came from the Christmas lights and candles lining the path



Checking out the gingerbread house.













Ceiling of Union Station in the main hall. Isn't is beautiful?






Natalie mailing her letter to Santa.










Just a small fraction of the trains.








The kids, my dad, and I had a day packed with holiday fun yesterday. We headed to Union Station in the morning and met my dad there to see their holiday model railroad. It's amazing! Every year around Christmas, they set up an 8000 square foot display of model trains going around different tracks. The kids love it and honestly, so do I. It's a feast for the eyes. There are so many different trains, buildings, and settings all over the tracks. Afterwards, we explored the rest of Union Station. It's a beautiful building with a lot of history. I always enjoy visiting. The kids even wrote letters to Santa while we were there and sent them off in a big mailbox. What fun!


We came home for a while so the kids could nap. After they all woke up, the fun continued. I loaded the kids in the car, popped the Polar Express in the DVD player (they had never seen it) and we headed to a local arboretum for their annual Christmas luminary walk. Basically, you walk along candelit trails through gardens, woods, around ponds, and along little streams. There are a few bonfires along the way, cider, Christmas caroling, and a Native American wood flute player who serenades the guests as they walk through the woods. There's also a gingerbread house the kids can peer into and see model trains going around a track inside. I mentioned to my dad that I was on my way to the luminary walk with the kids, and he surprised us by meeting us there. I was thankful to have a little company and some help keeping track of the kids in the dark. We all had a wonderful time.


I love this time of year!

No comments: