Monday, September 26, 2011

Pumpkin patch and less happy things






























Yesterday, my mom and I took the kids to a pumpkin patch nearby after church. The weather was perfect--sunny and upper 60s--and the kids were excited! They had a wonderful time. We went on a horse pulled trailer ride through the woods (definitely my favorite part), ate kettle corn, played in a giant haypile, fed hungry goats, admired hens (and a turkey), marvelled at the pumpkins, ate kettle corn, and pet the softest little baby sheep.

While I certainly had a great time, it was bitter sweet. Matt's FAVORITE fall activity is going to the pumpkin patch. I'm so sad that he is halfway around the world and missing it. Speaking of Matt, he's doing okay. He's had a total of 6 hours of (broken) sleep in the last 60 hours. Poor guy is exhausted. He's also at a location (for the next week or so) that's fairly unstable with frequent rockets being launched there. Bummer.

Continuing with the tone I've now set...Colton is starting to express that he's missing Matt. When I put him to bed the last several nights, he asks me just before I leave the room, "Mommy, is everything fine?" He has never done this before. Then, this morning, he didn't want to go to preschool. In fact, he was in tears over it. This is very unusual because he loves preschool. He said he just wanted to stay with me. I convinced him to go and on the way to school he said, "I miss Daddy. Will he come back home to play with me?" I told him that yes Daddy would be back home to play with him, but not for a while. I hate seeing my kids sad. I can't fix it.

There's more on my mind, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. What I will say, though, is that other events have made me miss Matt even more because we usually face things like the situation I've found myself in together. Instead, I'm left to figure it out on my own. It's lonely.

Hopefully, I'll be in better spirits with my next update!

1 comment:

Kitchin Family said...

Sarah! You are one amazing mom and wife! I will be praying for you. Let me know when you are in LS and we can plan a play date or lunch :-)!