Thursday, September 22, 2011

Adoption update

As you may or may not know, we are in the process of adopting from South Korea. We started the process a little over a year ago and are still waiting for a referral for a child. Our homestudy was completed last November and we were expecting to be matched with a child by December or January (there were a great number of little boys coming into care at that point so referrals were coming fast and furious). Well, our agency called us a few days after our homestudy was completed and informed us that they weren't going to send our homestudy to Korea to be matched with a child afterall. Instead, they decided to place us on hold until the following May on Adelyn's first birthday. The reason? They were concerned about there not being a big enough age difference between Adelyn and the child we would adopt. Bummer. But understandable. But frustrating. Anyway...



May rolled around. Addy turned one (yay!). We were thrilled and I called our agency to confirm that we were taken off hold. They said yes! And to expect a referral within one or two months. Double yay! Then they called a few weeks later and informed us that they weren't comfortable giving us a referral yet due to the age difference between Addy and the child we would adopt. I was less than pleased.


Shortly after that (and a few *inquisitive* phone calls placed by your truly), I was told that they are comfortable with an age difference of at least 8 months between Adelyn and the baby. So, that meant he had to be born in January of 2011. Here's the point of this long synopsis...I called our agency yesterday to touch base and to ask them the birthday of their most recent child who came into care. Their answer? January 2011! That means that all children coming into the agency's care from this point on are old enough to be placed in our family. So, we should be matched with a child soon!


To celebtrate my encouraging chat with the powers that be at our agency, I had a lovely dinner provided by Trader Joe's last night: a spicy bibimbap rice bowl. No, I didn't make a Korean meal from scratch. I microwaved it. My husband is deployed. Don't judge me. Oh, you weren't? Okay, let's carry on then. Eating Korean food makes me feel connected to our future son.


Along those lines, maybe I should eat some Afghani food for dinner to feel connected to Matt. What do they eat over there? Any ideas? I only know it's definitely not pork.


Things haven't exactly been smooth sailing in this process. We've gotten our hopes up only to have them dashed. BUT. God is in control. He knows exactly who our son is. He has always known. And hopefully soon, we will know too. And that's enough for me.

No comments: