Thursday, December 15, 2011

Baking, Bounce house, and the Blues





















Christmas season is my favorite time of year. I love drawing closer to my Savior as I reflect on his birth this time of year. Reading the Christmas story to my children, opening a piece of chocolate each night of Advent, making Jesus a birthday cake, driving around looking at Christmas lights, going to Union Station to see the Christmas train display, Christmas Eve service at church...there are just a few of the things that we enjoy this time of year.











HOWEVER, I'm really struggling this Christmas season. I underestimated how hard it would to have Matt away from home this Christmas. We're three months into this deployment (can I get an Amen???) and I feel like I've definitely hit my stride as far as taking care of the kids and the house etc. But not having my best friend here for the holidays is just straight up hard. I miss him being the one driving when we go to see Christmas lights. I miss watching Elf together (without the kids, don't worry) the week of Christmas. I miss wrapping presents while he....watches me wrap presents. I miss him. Period.











Which brings me to my next point. I've been pretty down lately. I feel like I'm in a funk that I'm having a hard time getting out of. One things I love to do that I'm finding very therapeutic right now is baking. A lot. In the past twenty four hours, I've made pepperming bark, Rolo turtle pretzels, buckeyes, fudge, and cookies. My neighbors have been the receipients of all my baked goods so far. I also plan on taking a big platter to church on Sunday. Natalie has enjoyed making delieveries to the neighbors.

On another note, it's gotten cold outside. Which means the kids, especially Colton, have a lot of pent up energy from not being able to spend as much time outside. Unfortunately, his pent up energy generally manifests itself as less than gentlemanly behavior. So, our bounce house has come back out for the season. The kids had a blast in it this afternoon. Except for Adelyn. She played in the bounce house for about 5 minutes. Then she threw up. Twice. She threw up once yesterday as well, but I thought it was from eating too much. Perhaps not.










Anyhow, that's what's been going on in the Walker house.










Is it January yet???

No comments: