Friday, August 19, 2011

A Servant's Way of Life




The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. John 12:25-26

How often I am tempted to live for my own pleasure, comfort, security and temporal things. I spend far too much time fretting over things that have no eternal value whatsoever. So much time wasted on earthly pursuits that do nothing but draw me further away from the purpose of my life, which is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Pursuing my own comfort is a dead end road. Lord Jesus, help me to love you and your purposes to the extent that I "hate" my life in comparison. Your reality is so much greater than all this world has to offer.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24

The highest honor is to serve you Holy Father. In your economy, a servant is given honor. Jesus, you are the greatest servant in all of human history. Today, Lord, you have reminded me that serving you includes, but goes beyond, church activities and ministries. Serving you involves every aspect of the life you've given me. Lord Jesus, please continue to change my heart to make it more life yours. Help me to view every day as another day to serve you and further your kingdom.

An obvious place to serve is in my own home. I am discipling three eternal souls each and every day. May my service to them and training them in the way they should go ultimately be an offering of service to you Lord. You are more than worth it.

No comments: