Friday, August 26, 2011

I'm neurotic

*I am prefacing this post with a picture to show you how weird it gets around here. Just for fun! We try not to take ourselves too seriously in the Walker house.

I can't sit still. I'm a busy body at the core. I'm one of those people who is always on the go, doing something, going somewhere, fiddling with something around the house, etc. That's just who I am. I'm always "on top of things" and run a pretty tight ship around the house. Wonder what that looks like with a pending deployment on my mind? Off.the.chain.


I can't sit still. I find myself thinking things like, "I've always wanted to hang a shower curtain in one of the spare bathrooms. That way, Natalie can start taking showers in there. She is 5 1/2 afterall. Shouldn't baths be a thing of the past? Good grief, Matt is leaving in XX days! I've got to go buy a tension rod and shower curtain and install it NOW. Afterall, how could I possibly think of doing something this earth shattering and overwhleming (I kid) when my husband is halfway around the world for goodness sakes!?!?!" And then I promptly load the kids in the car and bring this little chore to fruition.


I can't sit still. Why? I'm not entirely sure. For one, I'm neurotic. I think I mentioned that. Two, I've noticed that I have it in my head that I have to have all my ducks in a row when Matt is gone. I'm honestly not sure why. I mean, it's not like I needed Matt's help with the shower rod and curtain. I took care of it while he was at work. I think it's just that right now, I know that if I start something and have trouble, he'll be there to help me out when he gets home from work. When he's gone, and I'm halfway into a project and then hit a roadblock, what then? This reminds me of a story. Bear with me...


A few months ago, I decided to rearrange the living room furniture. If you know me, you would know that I'm mildly obsessed with rearranging furniture. It keeps my life interesting. No, I'm not kidding. Anyhow, it drives Matt crazy. He doesn't understand why I can't just leave the furniture alone for crying out loud. So anyway, I was moving our entertainment center (with our flat screen TV sitting on top) across the living room when I heard a terrible sounding CRACK. (Did I mention this entertainment center was brand new at the time?) Before I realized what was happening, our flat screen started to slide off the now lopsided entertainment center (yep, I snapped the leg off the bottom folks) toward the floor. I'm pretty sure I said a very unladylike word (or several) as I attempted to grab the TV and stabilize the now broken entertainment center with my legs. Oy vey! With all three kids underfoot, I managed to unplug our electronics inside the entertainment center, move said electronics into a closet, move the TV safely to a flat surface, and prop the (broken) entertainement center up against a wall. This is a classic example of starting a project only to have to wait for Matt to come home from work to rescue my project mid process. Thankfully, my very handy (and forgiving) husband was able to repair the broken entertainment center and order was restored. Back to the topic at hand...


I can't sit still. And now I'm sitting here thinking about how I REALLY should get the oil changed in my van before Matt goes 'cuz, you know, there's certainly no way I can do that when he's gone (again I kid). Someone tell me this is normal?

No comments: