Sunday, October 16, 2011

One month down!

Well, today is a happy day in the Walker house. Why you ask? Because Matt has been gone for one month. Now, I'm not dong cartwheels over the fact that he's not here. That would be strange. I am excited because we're making progress. One month down, six more to go.

I've found that keeping track of milestones along the way really helps me to stay positive. Every three weeks, I go to Starbucks and get a "10% through the deployment coffee." Of course, I've only been once so far. But I already have the dates marked on my calendar of when I get to go back for the 20% coffee, 30% coffee, etc. Each month, I change the shirt of Matt's that I sleep with. Yes, I sleep with one of the tshirts he wore the week that he left. No, I don't wash it for one whole month. Don't judge me. Every Friday, we mark off one more week since he's been away (which means we're one week closer to his return).

All in all, life is good. Matt and I skype twice a day (one in the working and once at night). The video quality is pretty bad in the sense that his eyes looks like black holes and his face is grainy, but it's a whole lot better than nothing! The kids and I have sent a couple of care packages to him already, and he sends an occassional letter to us in the mail as well.

Another key component of thriving during the last month has been staying VERY busy. The kids and I have something on the calendar 6 days a week. Saturday is our only day that's free of somewhere we have to be. Ordinarily, the pace might not work for our family. With Matt away, though, it's been great to stay busy. It's better than sitting around feeling lonely.

Dear deployment,

You stink, but you aren't stealing my joy.

- Sarah :-)

No comments: